Tuesday, January 13, 2009

November light

Nine hours and 32 minutes of sunlight here today--last time we had that much sunshine was the day after Thanksgiving. You could look it up!
The sun has started its summer flight.

My seeds came yesterday--a small packing envelope holds wildness beyond imagination. Moonflowers as big as my head, as fragrant as a prom date. Brandywines dripping sweet juice on my chin in August. A small basil forest releasing its scent with the rush of a warm July thunderstorm. And no matter how wild my imagination runs, summer will surprise me.

We're halfway to Imbolc. In a few weeks I will be looking for the crocuses. My rosemary plant showed off a few purple flowers last week, but the bees were too smart to play that game in January.

Not me. I'm already buzzing.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know how excited I am by this.
You know.

It's hard to believe we are on the up as I wake to -23 degree temperatures in Montreal (celsius) this morning!

But oh how I cherish the extra moments of light we are getting.

Lovely :)

doyle said...

I'll know I'm nearing my natural end when the increasing light fails to get my attention.

"Open the second shutter so that more light may come in." Go, Goethe, go!

Anonymous said...

I'm waiting for our seeds to arrive! Reading one catalog tonight after dinner, I laughed aloud at the bean hybrid with half the flatulence of the parents. Actually, the children tell me that I cackled. Maybe I'm the Vegetable Witch.

Halfway to Imbolc! Not ready for the birthday! The girls will be twelve this year.

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." -- Albert Camus

Anonymous said...

I love both of your quotes...hmmm...a post idea is brewing...