Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Facebook, Thanksgiving, atheism, and me

An old friend of mine, from well over 4 decades ago, pondered what athiests are thankful for on Thanksgiving.

Here is my response.
I'm not an atheist. I'm not not an atheist. I do have faith that I am a part of this matter/energy thing, whatever you want to call this.
I celebrate Thanksgiving. I thank the sun, the earth, the air, the water, and the beast we have slaughtered (by someone I also thank) to share.
I thank the universe/Godhead/matter-energy/whatever for grace.
I thank the quahogs on the mudflat, the mosquitoes that feed the bats, the dolphins, the moon, the occasional flash of a meteor against the sky.
I thank the bacteria that define me and you, the fungi busy digesting the stuff for which we have no use, and Seamus Heaney and Galway Kinnell for reminding me of these things.
I thank my mom for teaching me to dance always and whenever and my father for teaching me how to defend things worth defending.
And I thank you, Lee, for giving me this opportunity to thank others, for your gracious heart that allows for folks as dissident as me in your universe, and for all the small but deep chats we had when we were so much, oh so much, younger.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I am in complete agreement with you "Science Teacher." Who is to say that science and Religion cannot be one in the same? It has been my experience that you cannot have one without the other.

doyle said...

Dear Andrew,

I am a mess of mixed metaphors, true, but I hope I did not leave you thinking I believe they are the same.

~Michael