Sunday, December 17, 2017

Teaching isn't about you....

Some stuff on my windowsill,
given freely by the world.
It's not about passion of the teacher, finding the soul of a child, or lighting a fire in a kid's brain. It never was.

 It's simply showing a child the world that's herenow beyond the human noise.

The recent rush to classroom love-fests fails to acknowledge the value of the old curmudgeon who taught a few decades ago, gruff yet beloved, because she was not the point of class.

The world was.



Why do you think books matter to children so much?

4 comments:

penny said...

Totally right, we are not the point!

doyle said...

Dear Penny,

One of the benefits of blogging is finding others through the comments--and glad to have found yours today. =)

Anonymous said...

Here’s to the memory of a few curmudgeons of old....Cavallo (9th grade biology), Lehman (12th grade chemistry), Purrachio (?? grade Shakespeare). I’d include Doyle, but she simply wasn’t a curmudgeon, just a great english teacher.

doyle said...

Dear Anonymous,

Thanks for the memories--alas, my concussion in 9th grade wiped out my memories of my biology teacher. I have no idea who it was, couldn't even tell you his or her sex. Lehman turned me on to chemistry in a huge way--I adored her!

And my mom, well, she taught me most of what I knew growing up *and* she loved me. =)

(Were you part of the class of '77?)